Help communities rebuild in a way that promotes economic prosperity above and beyond pre-flood levels. Goal:
Overview: Governor Earl Ray Tomblin created RISE West Virginia in response to critical needs in the small business community resulting from the devastating floods of June 2016. This public-private grant program provides assistance for small businesses that were operational before the flooding and are working to reopen while struggling with existing debt and limited resources. The program is co-sponsored by West Virginia native and Intuit CEO and Chairman Brad Smith. The West Virginia Development Office oversees the program in partnership with the West Virginia Chamber of Commerce.
- Grants of up to $10,000 are awarded based on need and recommendations from a review committee. Additional assistance may be provided by the committee as special circumstances warrant.
- Initial funding for the program will be a minimum of $2 million, from a combination of private donations and state dollars that otherwise may have been available for the Racetrack Modernization Fund.
- Program will conclude upon the expenditure of all available funds.
- Private contributions are encouraged to support the program and accepted through the Development Office.
- In one of 12 counties declared in federal disaster area (Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Roane, Summers and Webster);
- In good standing with Secretary of State, Tax Department and WorkForce West Virginia;
- Had verifiable and operational business at the time of June 2016 flooding;
- Have a plan that justifies the grant assistance and, if largely destroyed as a result of the flood, a specific plan to reopen.
- Long term viability
- Contributions to building/sustaining local economies
- Number of jobs retained/created
- Ownership’s determination to rebuild
Fill out the one-page application and submit along with any supporting materials to:
West Virginia Chamber of Commerce Foundation
c/o Parween Mascari
1624 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV 25311
Sean Hill Donate to RISE WV:
West Virginia Development Office